Photo by: Karla King

Monday, May 23, 2011

Mason's Birthday! May 23, 2011





Well around 4 am, I woke up completely fine... went to the bathroom and then got back in bed. As soon as I laid down, I started having contractions.  I only has 2, that were 10 minutes apart, but OMG they were awful. So I called my nurse and told her that I had only had a couple, but they were really bad. She started me on Vistral, a muscle relaxer, and put me on the monitor to see contractions and monitor the baby's heart rate. She left the room and I had 2 more contractions, and I had the urge to push! So I called my nurse and told her that something wasn't right, so she called the doctor and the checked and I was 10 centimeters. Talk about fast! It was now about 4:30 am. They moved me to labor and delivery and all I could think was, "I guess and epidural is out of the question...." Inside labor and delivery I had maybe three more contractions and they were telling me to hold him in if  could. The NICU team wasn't there. Well Mason wasn't going to wait. He just decided to come on out and meet the world at 4:59 am. He weighed 3 pounds, 2 ounces, 15 inches long.  Talk about easy labor! Don't get me wrong, it was painful, but it was only an hour long from beginning to end and I didn't have to push.

Mason is doing awesome! His APGAR scores were 8 and then 8. He cried when we was born, which is a first for any of my kids, and he was pink and very tiny! He needed help with O2 for about the first hour, but now he is on room air, breathing on his own. I went to the NICU about 9:30 to see Mason. He was awake, looking around. I got to hold him for a while. He is doing awesome, I am so proud of him. Dr. Lipman is his neonatologist, which was Callie's doctor when she was born. He is an amazing doctor. He has such compassion for his patients, and their families. You don't feel like just a patient with him. He knows who you are, and who you are there to see. He told me that he remembers Callie, told me everything that was wrong with her, and told me that Mason was doing very well. I was surprised that he remembered small details about Callie that I didn't think he would remember. He told me that he remembers me telling him that I wanted to hold Callie if she was to pass. He told me today that he remembers how important it is for me to hold my baby, so that was the first thing he told the nurse, was to get Mason out and let me hold him. Of course, I cried, I have cried a few times today. It just brings back memories, but I am thankful for the new memories that I am getting with Mason.

Went back to see Mason at 1:30. Gave him his first bath....He LOVED getting his hair washed....I told him he was the tiniest thing I ever shampooed. He just relaxed, and fell asleep. He is so adorable. Thank you so much for all the prayers, he truly is a BIG FIGHTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment